Board Development Programmes
Our Board Development Programmes assist cultural organisations with the development of their Boards to help them fulfil their potential through strong and effective governance.
Introduction to being a board member
A full-day seminar which examines the roles and responsibilities of a board member in the cultural sector. The seminar is equally relevant to new board directors and those who would like a refresher.
- Setting the scene - understanding charitable structures
- The dividing line between your role and that of the professional staff
- Demystifying your legal and financial responsibilities
- Making your board meetings work for you
- The board and artistic issues
- The difference you can make as an advocate for the organisation
This course is run as an open course several times a year. For more information, dates available and details of how to book, please visit our Events Calendar.
The course can also be run as a dedicated session for a single cultural organisation and costs £650 + VAT for Arts & Business Scotland member organisations and £750 + VAT for non members. The organisation needs to provide the venue, and cover travelling expenses.
Full board development day
An experienced A&BS trainer will facilitate this bespoke training day for your board and will help you to look in detail at the members’ key responsibilities, and to maximise the contribution each can make to the organisation. Focusing on issues that are specific to your organisation, the day will be tailored to address your chosen areas such as:
- Governance and legal responsibilities
- The dividing line between the role of the board and staff.
- Planning and policy
- Employment / Human resources
- Board composition and succession planning
- Annual board reviews
- Board skills audit
- Board dynamics and structures
- The role of the Board in advocacy and fundraising
Cost and booking details:
The cost for a full day session ranges from £800 to £1,500 + VAT, depending on the level of customisation required, with discounts for members of A&BS; with half day sessions ranging from £600 to £800 + VAT. This covers preparation, tailoring the course to the needs of the organisation, course delivery and follow-up. The organisation needs to provide the venue, and cover travelling expenses.
There are a number of fully subsidised development days for Creative Scotland regularly funded organisations - contact us for information.
The Role of the Board in Fundraising
Fundraising is an important item on the agenda of most boards in the cultural sector, and for some board members it is that moment that they dread – “am I going to be expected to ask someone for money?” This session is for members of the executive team who work with boards on fundraising and would like some help in putting across the nature of the fundraising role to their board, or for board members themselves who would like to understand their role better.
This short seminar will explore:
- The board’s legal responsibilities in relation to fundraising
- What allboard members need to know about fundraising
- How a board member can help with the fundraising programme
- Where the money comes from
- How the executive team can help the board
This course is run as an open course once or twice a year. For more information, dates available and details of how to book, please visit our Events Calendar.
The course can also be run as a dedicated session for a single cultural organisation and costs £500 + VAT for Arts & Business Scotland member organisations and £600 + VAT for non-members. The organisation needs to provide the venue, and cover travelling expenses.
For all enquiries relating to any of the board development programmes please contact:
Head of Governance & Engagement
0131 243 2757