Legacies: How to Develop a Campaign and Secure Long-Term Financial Security
Arts & Business Scotland, Rosebery House, 9 Haymarket Terrace, Edinburgh, EH12 5EZ
Thursday, 3 October 2019 | 10:30 to 16:30
Who should attend this training?
Any staff or board member with an interest in developing a legacy campaign
Is it suitable for all arts and culture bodies?
Yes, regardless of activity, location or size
Will the training be focused on the philanthropy and giving in Scotland?
Legacies are the fastest growing source of income in the voluntary sector – up over 50% in the last ten years. Not just for big named charities, the fastest growing sector in this area of fundraising is the cultural sector, embracing both arts and heritage organisations.
This course, specifically for the cultural sector in Scotland, has been created in partnership with and will be delivered by Richard Radcliffe who has over 30 years’ experience in helping non-profits grow legacy income. He is the 2018 winner of the Lifetime Contribution to Fundraising award from the Institute of Fundraising and has worked with many Scottish charities and many of the major (and smaller!) arts and culture bodies (performing and non-performing arts) in the UK and Europe. This includes local authority funded museums, local theatres, niche arts galleries, regimental museums, botanical gardens, opera and ballet companies, festivals and many others!
This training day will cover:
- The donor revolution: and why legacies hold such great potential for the next 30 years
- Why people leave legacies
- The profile of legators and identifying your best prospects
- Communicating great messages to every stakeholder (Member, Friend, Visitor, Volunteer, Staff, Trustees and the local population)
- How to ensure prospects take action and put a gift in their Will
- How to embed inspiring and simple messages in all communications
- How to use newsletters, website, events, posters, local advertisements and digital channels for a simple legacy campaign.
- How to care for enquirers and pledgers
- Prioritising a legacy budget (you can run a good campaign with no budget if necessary)
- How to measure success.
"Such a great training session - instructor really made a serious topic quite easy to discuss in an easy to understand way. A must have for any third sector fundraiser."
"I recommend this - it will tell you all you need to know to start your campaign."
Malcolm Dickson, Street Level Photoworks
"Excellent, engaging. Backed up by data, practical advice."
Miriam Wright, The Royal Lyceum Theatre
"Richard is a great communicator with an exceptional breadth of knowledge about legacies that he kindly shares."
Mairi Foster, Royal Scottish National Orchestra
"Very clearly laid out with tangible goals and actions that can be achieved."
Clare Wilde, Citizens Theatre
£145 + VAT for Arts & Business Scotland members (Arts & Heritage)
£195 + VAT for Arts & Business Scotland members (Corporate)
£195 + VAT for non-members (Arts & Heritage)
£245 + VAT for non-members (Corporate)
Find out about Arts & Business Scotland membership.